Friday, November 18, 2011

Job Hunting 101 - this may take a while

Well this job hunting thing is going to take a little longer than I thought. There are lots of resumes floating around and I am hopeful mine will eventually fall into just the right hands. I have sent another resume today to a company that has an ad in the paper and more listings on the website so we will see - my hope at this point is just for someone to at least have enough interest from my resume to at least get a phone call. I am continuing to pray for God's will in this search and know that when and if I get a job (or not) - it is because it is part of God's plan for my life for this season. I am continuing to read through the Bible chronologically and read this morning in 2 Kings 4:1-7 New International Version (NIV) The Widow’s Olive Oil 1 The wife of a man from the company of the prophets cried out to Elisha, “Your servant my husband is dead, and you know that he revered the LORD. But now his creditor is coming to take my two boys as his slaves.” 2 Elisha replied to her, “How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?” “Your servant has nothing there at all,” she said, “except a small jar of olive oil.” 3 Elisha said, “Go around and ask all your neighbors for empty jars. Don’t ask for just a few. 4 Then go inside and shut the door behind you and your sons. Pour oil into all the jars, and as each is filled, put it to one side.” 5 She left him and shut the door behind her and her sons. They brought the jars to her and she kept pouring. 6 When all the jars were full, she said to her son, “Bring me another one.” But he replied, “There is not a jar left.” Then the oil stopped flowing. 7 She went and told the man of God, and he said, “Go, sell the oil and pay your debts. You and your sons can live on what is left.” After reading this I was wowed! Elisha's kind deed demonstrates that God wants us to go beyond simply keeping the law. Sometimes in the old testament it is easy to focus on God's harsh judgement of the rebellious and to minimize his care for those who love and serve him. To see him at work here (providing for one of his followers) helps us keep his justice toward the rebellious in proper perspective. Not only did God provide, but he did so according to their faith. He only provided oil for the jars they had collected - what if they had more faith and had collected more jars - I believe God would have filled every last one. God can do so much more than I can even imagine. And I am thankful for his word and especially this morning as it helps me to realize I just need to be faithful and continue to send resumes and he will do the rest.

No comments: